Cricut machines are a darling for most creatives. This is due to how they have over the years made it easy for crafters to design and cut their projects a lot faster. Cricut machines are the most revered cutting machines in the market due to their superior power. In addition, their versatility also makes them suitable for users of any experience level.
The different Cricut models are designed to enable users to make good use of their skills regardless of their level of expertise. And that’s not all. With a good Cricut machine, you can say goodbye to the hand cutting machines that you’ve been using. They come with shapes and designs that you can easily pre-download and create your own personalized designs. They are flexible given that they can cut through different types of materials.
While Cricut machines are designed to make your life easier and lessen the time needed to complete your projects, choosing one that suits your needs can be a little bit complicated. You can easily be tempted to get the latest model which might work against you. To help you in making a decision, we’ve reviewed some of the best Cricut machines that you can consider purchasing.
1. Cricut EasyPress 2
If you are a crafter whose DIY projects involve making customized crafts using iron-on, then consider getting yourself the Cricut EasyPress 2 cutting machine. Besides being packed with features, it is also easy to use.
• Easy to use
• Very portable given the design and the fact that it is lightweight
• Suitable for jumbo-size projects
• The best Cricut machine for those using iron-on in designing their projects as it gives you professional results in less than a minute
• Enjoy a fast and foolproof outcome that doesn’t become loose despite the number of washes
• Ideal machine for designing large projects such as blankets, sweatshirts, t-shirts, and banners
• Enjoy precise temperature and time settings for each individual project
• Ideal for newbie crafters as it is easy to learn
• Has a slim design
• Has helpful safety features such as an auto shutoff feature and an insulated resting base
• Tends to lose heat while being used hence needing a couple of presses before getting the desired results
• Some users have complained that it doesn’t get up to the selected temperature
2. Cricut Cuttlebug Die Cutting & Embossing Machine
If you want a Cricut die and embossing machine, then you can’t go wrong with the Cricut Cuttlebug Die Cutting & Embossing machine. It is perfect for those who love making cards and scrapbooks and is a lot more affordable.
- Users can use this machine offline and without a computer or any power source
- Given that there is no need for a power source, it is the perfect Cricut machine that you can travel with to areas that don’t have power
- Very portable given its lightweight
- Doesn’t need any software for it to function which means you don’t have to worry about the machine becoming slow or crashing
- The machine’s interface and design are very simple
- Suitable for embossing cards and paper
- Comes with two metal dies and a single A2 embossing folder
- The machine also comes with an embossing mat
- Easy to store thanks to the compact fold and store design
- Users can enjoy cutting and embossing different types of materials such as acetate ribbon, tissue paper, thin leather and foils
- Quite limited when it comes to cutting a wide variety of materials that other Cricut machines can
- The cutting surface is small
- Given that it doesn’t use any software, users don’t enjoy the freedom of creating their own designs
- Uses manual dies only which can be expensive
3. Cricut Explore Air 2
The Cricut Explore Air 2 is your go-to machine for any light duty commercial projects. This machine is not only powerful but is considered one of the fastest machines that you can get in the market.
- Very easy to operate and understand given the simple design
- Considered one of the fastest cutting machines available
- Bluetooth wireless technology enables users to send their designs directly from their mobile devices
- Wireless technology allows you to work on your designs from your smartphone, tablet or Apple devices
- Thanks to the double tool holder, users are able to cut, write and score simultaneously
- The machine has two operation modes – a fast mode that lets you cut twice as fast and a normal mode for normal cutting
- Enjoy precise cuts thanks to the Cut Smart 2 technology that ensures you use the right pressure and depth when cutting any material
- Comes with the Design Space software
- Choose from a wide variety of free images or upload your own personalized images
- Comes in four different colors
- Has a German carbide blade for excellent cutting
- Capability to cut over 100 different types of materials
- A bit noisy compared to other Cricut machines when in use
- The software requires an internet connection for it to be used hence those without are disadvantaged
- Lacks an Android app
4. Cricut Maker
The Cricut Maker is arguably the best Cricut machine ever designed. This machine is powerful and reliable.
- It’s able to cut over 100 different types of materials
- Comes with a wide range of tools
- Thanks to the new rotary blade, users can cut through any type of materials with a lot of ease
- Besides using your own designs, you can also upload your own fonts suited to the specific project you are working on
- Fast cutting speed
- Comes in four different colors
- Easily detects the type of blade you are using and whether it’s the right one thanks to the automated technology
- The additional knife blade comes in handy for crafters whose projects require cutting through thick materials
- Has a small cutting space
- Comes with the Design Space software that can’t be used without internet connectivity
As mentioned, Cricut machines can change the life of any crafter. However, given that there are different models available for sale, doing proper research will go a long way in ensuring you get the right machine for your needs. Always consider the cutting speed, ability to cut through different types of materials, wireless connectivity among other factors.